Diminuendo rather untuneful and balance is lost. Not well sustained and shaped to 1. Untidy start Cornets/Flugel. Some contrasts and shape were found but tuning is a concern in melody lines. Not all detail heard in decoration figures.
4. Full sound here but it becomes overblown. The fugue started untidily and struggled to settle. Rhythm and pulse were unstable and the technique was under pressure. Lines didn't match and the semi-quavers were unclear. Accompanying figures were often loose and uncertain. Upper levels were often overblown particularly from lower band.
26. No clarity and the big tune was imprecise in ensemble. Some excitement was generated but it become wild in places.
34. Fanfares mostly had stability if not always clear in detail. Quintuplets were well handled.
41. Very secure Horn and expressive Flugel. Well done Sop although the melody could be more prominent beneath.
47. Well played but lacked a sense of drama.
48. Had a sense of calm and then all settled well. Why the accel before 50?
Rall to 51 could be broader in note values but the final statements were controlled and effective.
This eventually found it's feet and the 2nd half was well performed, however, this piece is a tale of 2 halves and the fugue is fiendishly difficult as it proved again today. Not convincingly played at times but a brave effort.